If you have been blessed with vivacious bouncy curls, but struggle to manage and maintain them, then coconut oil could be the solution. This article will answer the question, is coconut oil good for curly hair?
Coconut oil can work wonders for curly hair. What sets it apart from other oils is its unique ability to penetrate deep into the hair shaft. It benefits curly hair by helping to heal protein loss and adding moisture and strength over time. Regular use increases shine, softness, manageability, and decreases frizz.
Benefits Of Coconut Oil For Hair
Coconut oil can benefit your hair as it has been proven to reduce protein loss from hair.
This is mainly due to its chemical structure (lauric acid), which makes it easier to absorb into the hair shaft.
Let’s take a look at these benefits in more detail:
Coconut Oil Moisturizes
The lauric acid we mentioned previously has nourishing properties and helps the coconut oil soak into the hair shaft. This moisturizes hair and helps manage frizz and reduce breakage.
Boosts Hair Growth
Coconut oil helps hair grow thicker and longer. The content of vitamins and fatty acids helps nourish the scalp and penetrate the cuticle.
Coconut oil can be used before any major dye job-it gives hair a protective layer from bleach damage.
To restore scalp health and reduce dandruff flaking, a little coconut oil can be applied and left for 5 minutes before shampooing.
Is Coconut Oil Good for Curly Hair?
Coconut oil is especially good for curly hair as it helps with manageability and keeps hair healthy.
Here is how it can help:
Locks In Moisture
Coconut oil hydrates curly hair by locking in moisture from water or leave-in conditioner. As a result of its composition, coconut oil can easily penetrate the hair thus retaining protein.
Due to this combination of protein retention and lock in of moisture, curly hair becomes softer, shinier, and healthier.
The lauric acid content in coconut oil helps to restore the protein structure of the hair shaft. This prevents curls from becoming brittle and weak.
Using coconut oil before wetting hair also adds protection. Wet hair is susceptible to damage.
The application of coconut oil prior to wetting the hair coats the hair cuticle to prevent it from opening which reduces the harsh effects of brushing and styling.
Furthermore, coconut oil can protect your hair from sun damage. It is believed to contain a natural SPF of 4-5. And since the coconut oil has helped lock in moisture, you don’t have to worry about your hair drying out in the sun.
Manages and Tames Frizz
Not only does coconut oil support the hair’s internal structure, but it also makes it look great on the outside.
A small amount of coconut oil can help tame frizz because it is light enough to be absorbed into the hair but heavy enough to keep unruly frizz under control.
It can also help detangle stubborn knots due to its capacity to add ‘slip’ to hair.
How to Use Coconut Oil for Curly Hair
There are a few ways to enjoy the benefits of coconut oil:
If you have curly, damaged, or color-treated hair, it is best to try to shampoo as little as possible as regular shampoo strips hair of its natural nourishing oils.
But when you do shampoo your hair, a pre-poo treatment such as the one below is recommended.
You will need:
- Coconut oil
- Shower cap
- Hair dryer
- Shampoo and conditioner
- Hair clips
- Use the clips to section your hair to make it easier to apply.
2. Scoop a little coconut oil out of the jar and warm it between your fingers so it starts to soften and melt.
3. Massage the oil thoroughly into the scalp. Start by using the pads of your fingers to ensure your scalp can really absorb the oil.
4. Apply to hair in sections- avoid the roots if your hair is fine. For thick or coily hair, apply the oil evenly to the whole length of the strand.
5. Put a shower cap on to stop the oil from getting onto your bedding- you can now leave this in overnight.
6. For better results, add heat using a warm towel or a hairdryer.
7. The next morning, shampoo, condition, and style your hair as usual.
A hair mask using coconut oil replaces moisture lost through chemical treatments.
You will need:
- 3 tablespoons virgin coconut oil
- 1 ½ tablespoons honey
- 2 egg yolks
- Few drops essential oil (any)
- Warm towel
- Melt the coconut oil in the microwave or use a saucepan on the stove.
- Add the honey to the melted wax and whisk to combine.
- Make sure the mixture isn’t too hot before adding in the two egg yolks then whisk again.
- Add a few drops of your chosen essential oil.
- Apply all over from root to tip.
- Wrap your hair in a warm towel and leave to work for 45 minutes (you could leave it in overnight if you wish)
- Thoroughly rinse out then shampoo and condition.
Use coconut oil to tame out-of-control frizz.
You will need:
- Nickel sized amount of coconut oil
- Warm the oil so it softens.
2. Apply just a few drops all over your curls
3. Make sure you don’t apply intense heat after you have used the coconut oil as you risk cooking the oil and damaging your hair.
Any Negatives To Using Coconut Oil?
If you have low porosity hair, you may want to find an alternative oil to coconut oil.
Coconut oil works so well due to the lauric acid it is made up of- this means it is able to fit more easily into the hair shaft and can be absorbed by the scalp.
However, low porosity hair does not absorb liquids easily due to its tightly closed cuticles.
So, if there is already coconut oil in there, there is less space for water which can lead to excessive dryness resulting in brittle hair and breakage.
How To Wash Out Coconut Oil From Hair
To remove coconut oil from your hair, you will need to use a shampoo containing sulfates.
The sulfates are required as they produce soapy goodness to really get the oil out of your hair. You may need to shampoo twice to remove all the oil.
A clarifying shampoo is another option. These work well as they are formulated to remove product build-up.
As a last resort, eggs, lemon, or baking soda can be used (but not together).
These should be the last resort as they can be very drying for hair, and so can potentially undo the nourishment you just had from the coconut oil treatment.
How often Should You Use Coconut Oil In Your Hair?
For best results, hair care experts recommend using coconut oil in your hair 2-3 times per week.
To lock in moisture and tame unruly frizz, try a little of nature’s coconut oil and enjoy your manageable, healthy, voluptuous curls.
Disclaimer: This site is not intended to provide professional or medical advice. All of the content on LovedByCurls.com is for informational purposes only. All advice should be followed at your own discretion. Ingredients may change at any time so always check the product label before using. Check our full disclaimer policy here.