Amino acids are essentially the building blocks of keratin molecules in your hair which is the true foundation for healthy, glowing locks. An amino acid hair treatment is great for strengthening and treating hair, leaving your strands silky smooth.
Written By Chia Kougianos
An amino acid hair treatment, also referred to as Argil Therapy, is a treatment that consists of amino acids and white clay to straighten hair naturally without the use of harmful chemicals.
What Does an Amino Acid Treatment Entail and Am I A Good Candidate?
For most client, this procedure usually takes around two hours depending on the length of your hair and its overall type and texture.
This in-salon smoothing treatment promises to instantly eliminate frizz and tame any unruly strands.
It’s also been known to reduce curl retention by 80%. Slightly wavy hair can become completely straight while tight curly hair will appear 50% looser post-treatment.
An amino acid hair smoothing treatment penetrates deep within the hair strand to restore, replenish, and strengthen your hair.
It is a great choice if you’re looking to promote length retention and enjoy healthy hair.
The best candidates for seeking this hair treatment are individuals who want to tame their frizz and cut their styling time in half without sacrificing on having volume or curls.
Other qualifying factors for an amino acid hair treatment include:
- Struggles with daily maintenance and styling due to unruly hair
- Relying on excessive styling products and tools to maintain your look
- If you suffer from frizzy, dry, and textured hair
- If you constantly make use of hair relaxers
- Wearing hair extensions and want to revert to your natural hair
- If you wish to soften the texture of your hair for easier maintenance and styling options
5 Amazing Benefits of an Amino Acid Hair Treatment:
The great news is that an amino acid hair treatment can be used on many types of hair. The list of some of the incredible benefits include:
- You’re able to enjoy the benefits of an amino acid hair treatment even on hair that has undergone chemical treatment. For example, if your hair has been colored or if you have had a perm.
- This treatment won’t break the bonds of your hair that usually determine the shape of your strands. This means that while your hair will be smooth it won’t be dead straight so you can still enjoy volume and curls.
- Most amino acid hair smoothing treatments are free of hazardous chemicals such as formaldehyde.
- You can still enjoy styling your hair in numerous waves post-treatment. From straight hair that is freshly ironed to curly hair with volume, you will be able to style your hair in numerous ways minus the frizz.
- Amino acids help to strengthen your hair fibers which in turn prevents breakage. Your strands will be left feeling moisturized and soft post-treatment.
An Eco-Friendly Hair Treatment
One of the incredible benefits of having an amino acid hair treatment over a keratin treatment is that your hair won’t be subjected to cancer-causing substances and strong chemicals. This is similar to a Dominican blowout, but this treatment only lasts for one wash.
These treatments don’t require high heat, which can result in hair damage or breakage. Furthermore, many keratin treatments include formaldehyde as a preservative.
This works great as a tool to bond the conditioners to your hair, but it can cause respiratory distress and cases of health issues.
It’s for this reason that hairstylists use masks to cover their faces when administering keratin treatments to clients.
Try Amino Acids to Combat Hair Loss
If you’re beginning to experience hair loss and are hoping to find natural ways to treat it, you should consider using amino acids as a treatment method.
Some amino acids are extremely beneficial in treating thinning hair in men as well as women.
They can be absorbed as a vitamin or mineral or you can enjoy it as an amino acid hair treatment to promote healthy hair and growth.
The great news is that for most people, amino acid supplements are safe to consume.
Amino Acid vs Keratin Hair Treatment
What is keratin?
Keratin is the hard protein that makes up the structure of your hair and consists of at least 18 amino acids.
It is high in sulfur and protein and can be built up by having a healthy diet. It’s important to protect the integrity of your hair to enjoy healthy growth and strength.
What are amino acids?
There are around 22 amino acids consisting of essential and non-essential acids which collectively form the keratin protein.
Amino acids are important for maintaining hair health, strength, hair density, and even shine.
Try an amino acid hair treatment if…
If you’re wondering about which treatment is best for your hair, consider if your hair is weak at the roots.
If you find your hair is fine and weak as it grows, your hair could benefit from an amino acid hair treatment to assist in promoting stronger strands.
Try a keratin hair treatment if…
If your hair is strong but you’re prone to styling your hair with chemicals and using hot styling tools you may notice your hair has become damaged and dry.
A keratin hair treatment may be your best option as this will help make your hair become easy to manage and restore moisture in your hair.
DIY Amino Acid Hair Treatment
This Cherry Lola Treatment was first created in 2009 by blogger, Cherry Lola, to repair damaged hair. It’s a simple recipe that consists of just three ingredients that you can easily prepare at home.
The effects of using this home treatment have been known to repair hair damage, loosen curls, cause your hair to brighten and even hydrate.
For this treatment, you need three ingredients you may already have in your fridge:
- 16 oz. full-fat, plain yogurt
- 2 Tablespoons baking soda
- 2 Tablespoons Bragg Liquid Aminos
You can also make your mixture with a conditioner to add even more moisture. Or you can mix it with apple cider vinegar for added softness and manageability.
1. Mix the ingredients together in a bowl until the mixture is thick and foamy.
2. Part your hair into roughly 8-10 sections. Apply a generous amount to your roots and coat your hair in the mixture from the top of your roots down towards the ends. Wrap your hair into a shower cap and leave for around 20 minutes.
3. Use an overhead dryer and set it to low to medium temperature if you want to use it with heat, but do not use a blow dryer.
4. Rinse your hair with a diluted apple cider vinegar rinse
Products You Can Use for Easy Home Treatments
A great way to look after and treat your hair is by using simple home treatments. This way you can enjoy salon-quality hair from the comfort of your own home.
- A great vegan option is the EZERO Hair Treatment Plex with Shampoo, Mask and Oil Serum Concentrate for Damaged or Dry Hair
- Why not try Kiehl’s Amino Acid Shampoo for daily washing
- Finish with this Vitamins Hair Mask Keratin Treatment Conditioner for healthy, glowing hair.
Best Tips for Aftercare
Use Salon-Quality Shampoo and Conditioner
It’s true what the experts say about using salon products over store-bought haircare products.
Invest in your hair with a product worthy of your hair. One of the best ways to do this at home is to use a professional shampoo.
Help extend the time between your salon visits by using professional shampoos and conditioners.
After an amino acid hair treatment, you may feel that your scalp is a little bit sensitive.
A gentle shampoo and conditioner containing no harsh chemicals or additives will go a long way in maintaining the lasting effects of the treatment.
So if you are going to use any hair products, make sure they don’t contain elements of alcohol or sulfate as they may strip your hair follicles of moisture. This causes the effects of the amino acid hair treatment to wear off much quicker.
For a sulfate-free shampoo, try Noughty’s To The Rescue Moisture Boost Shampoo. This works great for frizzy and damaged hair and contains sweet almond extract that helps to strengthen hair.
For a silicone-free conditioner, you cannot go wrong with Garnier’s Banana Hair Food. It’s incredibly moisturizing and very good value for money.
Wash Your Hair Less
If your hair is prone to becoming greasy quickly it may be difficult to abstain from washing your hair regularly.
However, daily washing could strip your scalp of its natural oils and this, in turn, may cause your hair to become dry and damaged.
If you’re looking to make the effects of your treatment last for as long as possible try to limit your washes to twice a week or so.
Always Protect Your Hair When Styling
One of the best ways to maintain your hair and keep it being healthy overall is to protect your hair when styling.
The use of heat styling tools can prove to be very damaging to your hair in the long run.
After an amino acid hair treatment, your hair is rich in nutrients and moisture. To protect your hair after this treatment and to lock in the moisture, protect your hair against heat styling damage.
Use OGX’s Argan Oil Of Morocco Heat Protection And Blow Dry Spray before using any kind of heat tool on your hair. This will give your hair the best chance of retaining its shine and avoid becoming dry and frizzy.
Disclaimer: This site is not intended to provide professional or medical advice. All of the content on LovedByCurls.com is for informational purposes only. All advice should be followed at your own discretion. Ingredients may change at any time so always check the product label before using. Check our full disclaimer policy here.