In this handy guide, we showcase all there is to know about choosing the best shampoo for your purple hair. We also uncover a few handy tips for easy maintenance and reveal our top 5 best shampoos to keep your purple hair vibrant and well-nourished.
This post contains affiliate links and we may earn if you click on them (at no extra cost to you). Please read our full disclosure policy here.
In A Hurry? Our Top Picks
|Top||Celeb Luxury Viral Colorwash, Professional Semi-Permanent Hair Color Depositing Shampoo, Purple||Buy on Amazon|
|Purple Shampoo for Blonde Hair by GBG – – 8oz||Buy on Amazon|
|HASK ROSE OIL + PEACH Shampoo and Conditioner sulfate-free, paraben-free, cruelty-free - 1 Shampoo and 1 Conditioner||Buy on Amazon|
|Vitamins Keratin Purple Toning Shampoo - Violet Blue Brassiness Toner for Bleached Icy Blonde Platinum Silver White Grey Ash Gray or Colored Dry Damaged Brassy Hair||Buy on Amazon|
|L'Oreal Paris EverPure Sulfate Free Brass Toning Purple Shampoo for Blonde, Bleached, Silver, or Brown Highlighted Hair, 6.8 Fl; Oz (Packaging May Vary)||Buy on Amazon|
Product prices and availability are accurate as of the date/time indicated and are subject to change. Any price and availability information displayed on [relevant Amazon Site(s), as applicable] at the time of purchase will apply to the purchase of this product.Prices pulled from the Amazon Product Advertising API on:
How To Choose the Best Shampoo for Your Purple Hair
When it comes to finding the best shampoo for your purple hair we recommend selecting a product that has been specifically designed for purple-colored hair.
One of the most important aspects to keep in mind when choosing your shampoo is that it needs to help retain your purple color and color depositing shampoos are ideal for this.
They will help to play a vital role in cleansing your scalp while brightening your shade and removing any elements of brass or yellow tones.
5 Best Shampoos for Purple Hair
We have compiled a Buying Guide featuring the top five best shampoos for purple hair with the Viral Purple Colorwash Shampoo by Celeb Luxury as our winning product of choice.
1. Viral Purple Colorwash Shampoo by Celeb Luxury
This Viral Purple Colorwash Shampoo by Celeb Luxury ensures you have intense vibrant color with every wash from the comfort of your own home.
It not only cleanses your strands but maintains and refreshes your color with its Colorposit technology.
This shampoo is one of the best choices for your purple hair as it will help to extend the color in each strand while simultaneously hydrating and smoothing in the process.
This color-rich enhancer shampoo has been formulated with zero sulfates and parabens and is vegan and cruelty-free.
It does not contain any ammonia or peroxide making it a high-quality product safe to use on your colored hair.
Why we like it:
- It’s suitable to use on purple colored hair
- Easy to use as you apply directly on to wet hair and leave for around two minutes before rinsing out the product
- Instantly adds bold color during the cleansing process
- Maintains and corrects your color with each wash
- 100% vegan and is peroxide, ammonia and sulfate free
2. Purple Shampoo for Blonde Hair by GBG
Next on our top five list of best shampoos for purple hair is this product by Get Back Gorgeous. This celebrity stylist-created purple toning shampoo will help to keep your hair looking fresh and bright for longer.
It’s ideal for those looking to extend the time spent between coloring as this shampoo delivers radiate color.
It’s also been specially formulated to contain collagen which helps to defend your strands against damage and breakage resulting in fewer split ends.
This shampoo is rich in coconut oil and contains a host of organic compounds making it safe and gentle to use on your purple tresses.
One of our favorite aspects about this indulgent shampoo is the pleasant aroma. Robust California Orange, Italian Bergamot, and Citron Blossom are featured with rich Lavender Blooms, Wild Geranium, and Cyclamen Petals for a truly heavenly scent.
This GBG Purple Shampoo is ideal for protecting your hair against the harmful effects of the sun and as a result, contains photo stabilizer UV protection.
Why we like it:
- This shampoo helps to control hair breakage, damage, and split ends
- Removes yellow tones and brassiness from your blonde hair and is suitable to use on purple colored hair
- Contains a fragranced aroma which is an added bonus
- Formulated with rich organic compounds resulting in soft, silky, and well-nourished locks
- It’s easy to use
- Contains photo stabilizer UV protection
- Includes collagen which is ideal to combat hair damage and breakage
- 100% cruelty-free and purely vegan
3. Hask Rose Oil and Peach Shampoo and Conditioner Set
The Hask Rose Oil and Peach Shampoo and Conditioner makes it onto the list at number three and is one of the best shampoos we found for purple hair.
This shampoo offers color-treated hair an extra layer of protection against fading by sealing in the color to help retain vibrant tones and a healthy shine at all times.
The formula is alcohol-free and contains no parabens, sulfates, or gluten making it ideal to use on colored hair with no damaging effects.
It contains organic rose oil which helps to reduce frizz and add shine to your locks. Other ingredients include peach fruit extract and quinoa which help to hydrate and moisturize your purple hair leaving them soft and easy to manage.
Hailed as Hollywood’s number one hair care product among top stylists it ensures your hair is well cared for and well-nourished.
Why we like it:
- This shampoo is packed with wild rose notes and elements of peach for a dainty fragrance
- It’s gentle and safe to use on purple colored hair
- It’s easy to use
- Helps to detangle hair and prevents breakage
- Provides a sealed protective layer around your strands to preserve the color and maintain bold tones for longer
- Acts as a source of hydration and moisture
4. Vitamins Keratin Purple Toning Shampoo
Next up we have Vitamins Keratin Purple Toning Shampoo as one of the best shampoos to use on your purple-colored hair.
It has a color deposit formula that helps to remove the orange, yellow, and brass tones in your locks. It’s ideal to use on purple hair as it is a toning shampoo and includes intense pigments that act as color correctors.
This product offers a professional deep clean and contains keratin, argan oil, and a host of essential oils to ensure your purple hair is cleansed and hydrated.
It has also been formulated to contain UV protection to ensure your hair is protected against possible UV damage.
Why we like it:
- Suitable for use on purple hair
- Contains UV protection brightener resulting in silky smooth hair with vivid color
- Acts as a source of hydration and offers nutrients to dry or damaged hair
- Contains a brightening booster which is ideal for colored hair
- Acts as an anti-frizz moisturizing treatment
- Thanks to the keratin it helps to prevent and repair split ends and moisturize brittle hair
- Cruelty-free formula that contains no parabens, alcohol, or sulfates
5. L’Oreal Paris EverPure Purple Sulfate Free Shampoo
Last but certainly not least on our top five list featuring the best shampoos for purple hair is the L’Oreal Paris EverPure Purple Sulfate-Free Shampoo.
It is perfect for cleansing and toning purple-colored hair and also ideal to neutralize brassy yellow and orange tones in your hair.
The result is brighter color so you can say goodbye to dull hair and hello to bold tones for longer.
This highly moisturizing hair product acts as a great source of hydration and is infused with hibiscus and purple dye which makes it great for cleansing purple hair.
The formula is vegan and has not been tested on animals and is free from harsh chemical ingredients such as sulfates and parabens. It’s also been endorsed by well-known personalities such as Jennifer Lopez, Beyonce and Jane Fonda.
Why we like it:
- Specially formulated with hibiscus and purple dye making it ideal for purple hair
- Brightens and tones your strands for vivid color after every wash
- This shampoo is ideal to use on purple hair as well as blonde, highlighted, bleached, brown and silver hair. It’s also gentle enough to use on balayage hair
- Free from harsh ingredients such as parabens and sulfates
- Not tested on animals and is vegan friendly
Do I Need Special Shampoo for Purple Hair?
If you have recently colored your hair purple and are left wondering what shampoo is best, we recommend opting for a product that has lots of pigments.
One of the best shampoos for purple hair is a toning shampoo that will not only cleanse your locks but deposit pigments in the process which helps to brighten up your color resulting in a rich shade for longer.
Another important aspect to consider is that your shampoo should not contain any gluten, ammonia, or any other harsh chemicals that could potentially damage your strands.
These ingredients tend to reduce the amount of nutrition in your hair and affect the color.
Also Read: Blue Or Purple Shampoo For Gray Hair? Which Is Best?
How Often Should I Shampoo My Purple Hair?
We recommend limiting washes to no more than twice a week.
This applies to both colored hair and natural hair as washing it too often may strip your hair of its natural oils leaving it dry and even damaged.
For those with oily hair who wish to cleanse their hair more often, we suggest using a dry shampoo in between washes as a handy quick fix.
6 Simple Purple Hair Care Tips
Are you wondering how to care for your purple hair so that your color stays vibrant as long as possible? The answer is to follow these simple hair care tips below and to select a shampoo that best caters to your purple hair needs:
- It’s important to touch up your purple hair color every four to five weeks as this will help ensure that your color stays brighter for longer.
- We suggest washing your hair just twice a week.
- During your cleansing routine try to avoid using piping hot water and adjust the temperature so that it’s lukewarm. The cooler the water temperature the better as it helps to make your hair cuticles close which limits the color from running out.
- After using shampoo, we recommend applying a tiny amount of conditioner to your purple hair and letting it settle for a few minutes. Rinse the product out with cold water. The conditioner will act as a source of hydration so your strands will be nourished and will also help reduce the risk of the color fading due to the hair becoming dry and dull.
- Limit your use of hair care products that improve volume as they often include ingredients that can affect the overall brightness of your color.
- If you intend to use a curling iron or straightener we recommend applying a heat protection spray on to your purple hair first. Look for a product that contains ingredients such as coconut oil or shea butter as this will help to protect and moisturize your strands during styling.
Disclaimer: This site is not intended to provide professional or medical advice. All of the content on LovedByCurls.com is for informational purposes only. All advice should be followed at your own discretion. Ingredients may change at any time so always check the product label before using. Check our full disclaimer policy here.