The Rezo cut is undoubtedly one of the most popular curly haircuts to emerge in recent years. Curl specialist Nubia Suarez is the creator of the cut and she has helped thousands of women reignite their love for curly hair.
In this definitive guide of the Rezo cut, Nubia kindly agreed to let us feature some of her amazing curly transformations from her own salons. We can’t wait to share them with you!
What Is A rezo cut?
The Rezo cut, also known as the RËZO cut, is a curly hair cut achieved via a dry curl by curl cutting technique.
The Rezo cut focuses on an even curl cut as well as length retention and is only available at specialist hairdressers who have undergone extensive training.
Why Does The Rezo Cut Work So Well?
Nubia created the Rezo cut after spending many years as a Deva and Ouidad certified educator.
She realized that many curly haircuts didn’t cater to women with tight curly textures and set out to study different hair textures and techniques from all over the world.
The thing that sets the Rezo cut apart from other curly cuts such as the Deva cut, the Ouidad cut, or the Tunnel cut is that it is compatible with every hair texture.
The focus of the cut is to create a shape that not only works for your facial structure but allows you to keep the length if you wish.
The Rezo cut creates an enormous amount of volume while retaining the integral structure of your curls. The result is vibrant, loose curls that perfectly highlight the natural beauty of your face.
Who Is The Rezo Cut For?
The cut is suitable for every kind of woman and doesn’t discriminate against hair type or hair texture.
It is for women with wavy, curly, coily, and kinky hair types and is ideal for anyone who is looking for more volume and shape.
Take a look at these very different before and after photos which show just how versatile the cut really is:
As you can see from these photos, the Rezo cut isn’t really just a haircut. It helps to accentuate your facial features and brings out the very best of your qualities.
Nubia’s mission is to build a curly girl community where women from all backgrounds can see themselves reflected in others.
She urges women to accept their own textured hair instead of looking to change it.
Should You Get a Rezo Cut?
Deciding on a new hairstyle is always a big decision and if you’ve never had a dry curl by curl cut before, here are definitely a few things to consider:
Your Curl type
The Rezo cut works for all curl types and even wavies, but it’s good keep in mind that the cut will look different for each curl type.
If you have type 4c curls, you will be able to achieve a lot of volume and height as your curls have a lot more shrinkage.
On the other hand, if you are a 2b wavy, you will need to go a little shorter to see the different layers but it can still be very well worth it.
Be realistic about the results. Every person has a different face shape and curl type and it is not always possible for the stylist to give you exactly what you want.
If you have very curly hair that is long overdue a cut, a Rezo cut is definitely going to help you get a better shape and more volume.
However, if you are already getting your hair cut regularly, consider whether you may need to wait a bit longer before getting a Rezo cut.
Can you maintain it
Eventually your hair will grow out again and a rezo cut needs to be maintained.
You should aim to return to the salon every 6-8 weeks to have your Rezo cut so you should consider whether this is possible for you.
Rezo cuts vary from between $90 to over $200 so you need to think about the cost before deciding.
The Rezo Cut Vs The Deva Cut
The Deva cut is another popular curly hair cut that also follows a curl by curl dry-cutting technique.
One of the issues that curly girls have been reporting with the Deva cut, is that the cut doesn’t produce an even result.
As you cut the curls into layers, curlies who like to switch between curls and a straightened look, may not see very good results.
Furthermore, cutting the hair into different layers can lead to breakage problems for certain hair types.
Check out LexiMarcella’s video on YouTube who explains why she stopped getting Deva cuts.
The Rezo Cut Vs The Diametrix Cut
The Diametrix cut is a new curly hair cutting technique created by stylist Christo Curlisto.
Christo claims that the Diametrix cut helps to harness the natural volume, curl and shine of curly hair and he has even patented his technique.
The revolutionizing technique is designed to reduce bulkiness and to prevent the so called pyramid shape that some claim can be caused by both the Rezo cut and the Deva cut.
Potential Issues With the Rezo Cut
Some people have stated that the Rezo cut doesn’t necesarily highlight all the best features of curly hair, but rather that the cut simply ‘tames’ the hair.
Some have also reported a pyramid shape style cut and split ends.
However, it is important to know that you should only visit salons that have been specifically trained in the Rezo cut.
If you have any concerns, speak to the hairstylist beforehand and be very specific about what you want from the cut.
How Much Does A Rezo Cut Cost?
The price of a Rezo cut usually starts around $90 dollars but can be as much as $225 at some salons.
At Nubia’s own Utopia Salon and Day Spa, you can get a curly cut for $100 with a senior stylist or $200 if you want a session with Nubia herself. Make sure to book early as her slots are not easy to find.
The price will in general vary from salon to salon but can also be dependent on the level of expertise.
Nubia’s Rezo Academy provides classes ranging from level 1 RëzoCut up to Advanced RëzoCut classes. The price at your local salon will therefore depend on their curl specialist.
Where Can I Get A Rezo Cut?
The best way to find your local Rezo cut specialist is to check out Rezo haircare’s Stylist Finder.
Here you can search by city, town, or postcode to find your nearest stylist. All stylists listed here are Rezo cut certified which means that you’re guaranteed a quality cut.
Rezo now also have their own line of curly hair care products. While they may be a bit expensive, they’ve really taken the curl community by storm.
A diffuser is a must-have for any curly hair routine. This Rezo diffuser is super lightweight and collapsable so is great for travel. It is made from durable silicone that can handle up to 650f of heat and has 6 grips lined on the inside. It is therefore perfect for any hairdryer.
Rezo Curl Control Shampoo
This shampoo is infused with black tea and helps to hydrate and nourish your hair leaving it feeling super soft and shiny.
- No Animal testing
- 100% Vegan
Curl Control Conditioner
This conditioner helps to really detangle hair, leaving your curls feeling nourished and hydrated.
- No Animal testing
- 100% Vegan
Curl Define Hair Gel
This gel helps to keep your curls frizz-free while giving them great definition. No one likes a flakey gel and this formula guarantees maximum hold without any of the white bits.
- No Animal testing
- 100% Vegan
What Happens During A Rezo Cut Appointment?
The aim of a Rezo cut is to give you voluminous, shiny curls without losing too much of the length (unless you want to of course).
Your curl stylist will assess your hair, the texture, and check for any unevenness. The key is to balance out the cut on both sides so that when your hair grows, it will grow out evenly.
YouTuber Kelly documented her experience with the Rezo Cut on her channel Joy Before Her and was lucky to get a session with Nubia Suarez herself.
- Nubia noticed that Kelly’s hair had big gaps been the long layers and short layers. Her goal was to correct this.
- Kelly’s curls are not too tight and so Nubia suggests that she doesn’t use heavy products. Remember, less is better! Not only does using fewer products help with volume but it makes your curls feel much lighter.
- Kelly colors her hair blonde and Nubia explains that this can actually affect the curl pattern. Coloring your hair too often will give you looser curls.
- Nubia only cuts off the very bottom of the curls to retain length
- Cutting curly hair Rezo style makes your hair look bigger and becomes fair easier to manage
- During washing, another stylist emphasizes the importance of using enough water during the wash. Hydration is key for frizz-free curls!
My favorite part of this video was when Kelly asks Nubia how she came about creating this signature cut.
Nubia explains that she wanted to create an inclusive sisterhood of women from all backgrounds with various hair textures. This is so that any curly girl would have someone to look up to.
Too often we see the same curl patterns or textures in mainstream media which tells us that the problem is YOU or YOUR hair type.
Nubia emphasizes that it’s never you, it’s your haircut!
She ends the session by stating that it is our obligation and duty to society to build a stronger community and to make every curly girl feel proud of themselves and how they look.
Rezo Cut Transformations
Types of Rezo cuts
1. Shoulder-length – big curls. This cut is suitable if you have type 3 curls that tend to drag down your hair. Getting a volumous Rezo cut can really help bring shape and definition to your curls.
2. Long Rezo Cut. This cut works perfectly for those who don’t want to lose the length but who still want to have definition and layers. This cut allows you to style and tie up your hair any way you want.
3. Short Rezo cut. This is ideal for those with type 3 curls who are looking for a short style but with a lot of volume. The curl by curl technique really allows for each curl to stand out on their own.
4. The Blonde Rezo Cut. The cut works for any ethnicity and the blonde color really highlights the different tones of each curl.
5. The volumous long Rezo cut. If you have thick curly hair, the Rezo cut is for you. A side-parting can help lift the roots and let the curls fall on each side in a beautiful shape.
6. Fine hair Rezo cut. If you have fine hair, don’t worry, the Rezo cut can work for you too. Even short hair can have lift and volume if cut correctly and using the right products can really help shape your face.
7. The big curls Rezo cut. Look at this absolute beauty. This proves that the rezo cut has the ability to shape a face like no other. By adding the long bangs at the front, the curls take centre stage and really pack a punch. And look at that amazing color!
8. The Pixie Rezo Cut. This truly is a versatile cut. Even the shortest of hair can benefit as each curl by curl cut helps lift and bring body to every single curl.
I hope this guide gives you a better insight into what the Rezo cut is and why it is one of the best curly haircuts on the market!
Don’t forget to follow Nubia on Instagram and good luck with your curly hair journey!
Disclaimer: This site is not intended to provide professional or medical advice. All of the content on LovedByCurls.com is for informational purposes only. All advice should be followed at your own discretion. Ingredients may change at any time so always check the product label before using. Check our full disclaimer policy here.