Argan oil is known for its restorative properties when it comes to hair, but can you use Argan oil before using a flat iron? In this article, I’ll deep-dive into the benefits of Argan oil, specifically its uses as a heat protectant.
The Quick Answer To – Can I Use Argan Oil Before Using A Flat Iron?
While Argan oil is a great additive to your hair, it is not a suitable heat protectant on its own when straightening your hair. Instead, Argan oil should be used in addition to a regular heat protectant when heat styling as it will offer a protective, moisturizing barrier.
Benefits of Argan Oil For Hair
Argan oil is a plant oil that is made from the kernels of the argan tree, which is native to Morocco.
Argan oil is a favorite among many because it contains many different essential nutrients. A third of the fatty acid content is omega-6, while just under half of the oil is oleic acid. This oil is also rich in vitamin E.
The high number of fatty acids found in Argan oil make it ideal for hair care.
It will help to lubricate your hair shafts and maintains moisture more easily and vitamin E is useful in preventing dryness, thereby adding shine while also reducing frizz.
How To Apply Argan Oil To Hair
There are many different ways you can choose to use Argan oil in your hair.
You may want to use it for styling your hair, after flat ironing with a heat protectant. Or perhaps you want to use it as a hair mask, to keep in overnight for extended benefits.
How To Use Argan Oil As A Styling Product
- Start with dry hair and flat iron if you wish, with an appropriate heat protectant.
- Rub 2 to 5 drops of Argan oil against your palms to warm it up.
- Run your fingers through your hair to apply the oil to your hair.
- Massage the Argan oil into your scalp.
- For best results, repeat 2 to 3 times a week.
How To Use Argan Oil As A Hair Mask
- Rub 6 to 8 drops of Argan oil against your palms to warm them up.
- Apply this to your hair from roots to tips.
- Comb through your hair to even the distribution.
- Use a shower cap to retain the natural heat on your hair, as well as protect your pillow and clothes.
- Leave it on for at least 30 minutes, although leaving it overnight is best.
- In the morning, shampoo and condition your hair as normal.
- You can repeat this process once a week, with a goal of 2 to 4 times each month.
How To Keep Hair Soft With Argan Oil
As discussed above, Argan oil contains a lot of fatty acids which will help your hair retain its moisture.
Vitamin E is essential in making your hair soft and manageable as well. Does your hair knot easily? Perhaps a few drops of Argan oil will make it much easier to brush out.
Recipe 1 – Argan and Coconut Oil
- Mix Argan oil with another hair oil. You can use coconut oil if you want super shiny hair or try castor oil in order to encourage hair growth. You could also add a few drops of essential oils for a truly nice smell, such as rosemary or lavender.
- Use a generous amount of Argan oil on your hair, going from the roots of your hair to the tip. The hair should not be dripping wet, but you do want it well coated.
- Leave the oil in for 15 to 30 minutes. For additional effectiveness, you could leave it in overnight.
- Wash your hair as you normally would to remove the Argan oil.
Recipe 2 – 5 Oil Blend
This recipe uses 5 different oils in order to give you soft and shiny hair. Like Argan oil, mustard oil, coconut oil, and olive oil are chock full of fatty acids and vitamin E. Meanwhile, olive oil strengthens hair follicles and can promote hair growth.
- Blend pure mustard oil, coconut oil, virgin olive oil, castor oil, and sweet almond oil.
- Measure out 1/4 cup of each.
- Mix them together in a large bowl. You can store any leftover mixture in an oil dispenser bottle for later use.
- Place a small amount into a bowl and warm it up in the microwave.
- Apply the oil from the ends of your hair to the roots.
- Apply additional oil to the scalp of your head, massaging your scalp with your fingertips as you go.
- Leave in for a minimum of 30 minutes. You can leave it in overnight if you wish.
- Wash the oil mixture out with a mild shampoo.
Recipe 3 – Argan Oil, Coconut Oil, And Honey Mask
This recipe uses Argan oil and coconut oil as the base and you will add honey for soft and shiny hair.
Organic honey can help to leave your hair shiny and reduce frizz.
- Gather your ingredients: 4 tablespoons of coconut oil, and 2 tablespoons of organic honey.
- Add these two to a pot and warm it up, before allowing it to cool.
- Pour the cooled mixture into a bowl.
- Add 2 tablespoons of Argan oil. OPTIONAL – you can add peppermint essential oil if you want to change the scent.
- Mix the ingredients together.
- Apply to your hair, focusing on the ends and parts that tend to be drier.
- Leave the mixture in your hair for 30 minutes
- Shampoo your hair to remove the mixture.
- You can use this mixture 1 to 2 times a week to maintain soft and shiny hair.
Recipe 4 – Argan oil and Rosehip Oil
You already know the tremendous benefits of Argan oil, but rosehip oil can be beneficial as well. Rosehip oil has many fatty acids and essential vitamins, which help your hair to repair and renew itself.
- Gather your ingredients: equal parts Argan oil and rosehip oil.
- Apply to your hair, from tips to roots.
- Additionally, massage the oil into your scalp to maximize blood flow.
- Leave the mixture in your hair for 20 to 30 minutes
- Shampoo your hair to remove the mixture.
- You can use this mixture 3 times a week to maintain soft and shiny hair.
Is Argan oil ethical?
Argan oil is made by having each fruit peeled and the nut cracked.
The extracted kernels are air-dried and then ground and cold-pressed, releasing the Argan oil.
Due to this process, it is vegan, in that no animals are used in the production of the oil.
When you buy Argan oil, it may be best to purchase from Berber women-owned cooperatives, as the production process is labor-intensive and many laborers, primarily women, can be exploited.
While there are still advances that should be made for fair labor, these cooperatives are helping the workers and women associated with them. One such cooperative is Targanine.
So, Can I Use Argan Oil Before Using A Flat Iron?
Overall, Argan oil is a great addition to your hair-care routine but it is not the best choice for heat protection. Instead, Argan oil should be used in addition to a heat protectant as it can help moisturize hair and prevent split ends.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes. Due to its moisturizing capabilities, Argan oil is a great idea for dandruff. It has an abundance of antioxidants that will help you combat dryness and itchiness. The vitamin E found in Argan oil will help moisturize a dry scalp, thereby making it a great option for those suffering from dandruff.
Argan oil is a honey color and you may have a brassiness tinge to your colored hair if you use it on color-treated hair. Other oils for color-treated hair that you should consider are coconut oil, olive oil, almond oil, and sesame oil.
Disclaimer: This site is not intended to provide professional or medical advice. All of the content on LovedByCurls.com is for informational purposes only. All advice should be followed at your own discretion. Ingredients may change at any time so always check the product label before using. Check our full disclaimer policy here.