Onions and garlic have many nutritional benefits and there is some scientific and anecdotal evidence to suggest that these benefits also extend to the hair. Onion and garlic oil is a simple home remedy for hair growth, which is said to help improve hair thickness and decrease hair loss.
Onion and garlic oil contain important nutrients that may be beneficial to hair growth. These include sulfur which is said to aid in collagen production and vitamins B-6 and C which are essential for healthy hair.
Benefits Of Onion For Hair Growth
The key ingredient in onion which is beneficial for your hair is sulfur.
Your hair is mostly made of a protein called keratin. Keratin itself is rich in sulfur, and is what gives hair its strength.
So, adding more sulfur to your hair by using onion oil is a good way to promote hair growth, and help decrease hair thinning and breakage.
It is also believed that the sulfur from onions can aid collagen production. Collagen boosts healthy skin cell production and hair growth and can therefore help prevent hair loss.
Onions can also improve blood circulation. Applying onion juice to the scalp can increase blood flow to the follicles of the hair, which will aid in hair growth.
Benefits Of Garlic Oil For Hair Growth
Garlic has many nutritional benefits and these benefits may extend to the hair too. Raw garlic is packed with vitamins and minerals, including selenium, manganese, and vitamins B6 and C. These all help to promote healthy hair.
The natural antimicrobial and antifungal properties of garlic may also contribute to hair growth by keeping your scalp healthy.
A scientific study has also found that garlic protects the skin cells that create keratin from UV damage. These cells, known as keratinocytes, are on the outer layer of your skin, including the scalp, and in your hair follicles as well.
How To Use Onion And Garlic Oil For Hair Growth
Because of their hair strengthening and scalp stimulating properties, the use of onion and garlic oil is an age-old remedy for hair growth and to counter hair loss.
There are two ways to use onion and garlic oil for hair growth:
- Hot Oil Treatment
- Garlic Conditioner
You will need to use a carrier oil such as olive oil or coconut oil for both methods as garlic and onion can be irritating for the skin and eyes.
Garlic can even cause burns to the skin, so use it with caution, especially if you have sensitive skin, and avoid entirely if you have an allergy to garlic or onions.
This is why it’s important to dilute these two ingredients with carrier oils. Products containing these ingredients can also cause reactions, so please do use with caution.
Hot Oil treatment
Follow this simple recipe to reap the benefits of onion and garlic oil for hair growth:
You Will Need
- 7 cloves of garlic
- 1 medium-sized onion
- 1/2 cup of carrier oil (this could be olive oil, argan oil, castor oil, coconut oil; whatever your preference is)
- A blender
- Cheesecloth for draining or a suitable substitute
How To Make
1. Put the garlic and onion in a blender and blend up until it is a smooth mixture.
2. Heat up your carrier oil of choice, and add the garlic and onion blend to the mixture.
3. Occasionally stir the mixture of garlic and onion in the oil until the mixture turns brown. Then turn off the heat and leave the mixture to cool.
4. Once the mixture has cooled, drain the onion and garlic infused blend through a cheesecloth, muslin or a fine wire sieve. Keep the infused oil but you can throw the onion and garlic bits away.
How To Use:
1. Take one or two tablespoons of the onion and garlic infused oil and gently massage into your scalp for about 10 to 15 minutes. You can use your hands to do this or a scalp massager.
2. After you have finished massaging your scalp, coat your hair with the rest of the oil and put a shower cap on over the top of it. Leave for 30 minutes to allow your body heat to work the ingredients into your hair.
3. After the 30 minutes is up shampoo the formula out of your hair and condition, dry, and style as usual.
4. For best results, repeat this treatment 1 to 3 times a week. Do not expect overnight results, however. You may need to wait a month to see the benefits.
Garlic Hair Mask
Just like raw garlic, garlic essential oil comes in very concentrated form. It can also often contain alcohol to preserve the garlic oil. Be careful when applying garlic near your face as the sulfur present in garlic may cause irritation.
Here’s a hair mask you can do twice a week for best results:
You will need:
- 1 full head of garlic (crushed)
- 7 oz (120ml) carrier oil (coconut or olive oil)
- Glass Jar
How To Make:
- Warm the oil on low heat and add the crushed garlic. The oil should only be warm, not hot
- Let the garlic become fragrant but not cooked
- Once the garlic has been infused with the oil, remove and leave to cool
- Strain the mixture
- Store in glass jar or container
How to use:
- Massage the mixture into your scalp for 2-3 minutes
- Let the oil sit in your hair for around 15 minutes. Use a deep conditioning cap for maximum effect.
- Wash your hair with a gentle cleanser.
- Condition as usual
Won’t It Be Stinky?
Well, yes it will. As you know, garlic is very pungent and onions have a strong smell too. But fear not – shampooing your hair after these treatments should remove the smell.
If you can’t stand the smell of garlic and/or onions and can’t fathom the thought of using them on your hair, there are hair products you can buy which incorporate these ingredients but are odorless or otherwise sweeter-smelling. We’ve included our favorite picks of these products below.
Where To Buy
Onion oil and garlic oil can be bought from health food shops and online. You can find hair products that incorporate these two ingredients.
If you don’t fancy doing a DIY treatment or are short on time, here are our picks of onion and garlic infused treatments you can buy online:
BIOBLAS Odorless Garlic Shampoo
The Indie Earth Red Onion Anti Hair Loss & Hair Growth Oil
Dabur Vatika Garlic Enriched Hair Oil
Disclaimer: This site is not intended to provide professional or medical advice. All of the content on LovedByCurls.com is for informational purposes only. All advice should be followed at your own discretion. Ingredients may change at any time so always check the product label before using. Check our full disclaimer policy here.