Mold is something that we can’t always prepare for but can have a huge impact on our lives. We know that it can be bad for our health, but can mold also cause hair loss?
Yes, it is possible for mold to cause hair loss. Mold can trigger allergic reactions inside the body which may cause inflammation that disrupts blood circulation to the roots of the hair, causing it to fall out.
What Is Mold?
Mold is a naturally occurring fungus that typically forms in moist environments. It may be green or gray in color. The most common places you can expect to see mold is old food, plants, wood, and certain fabrics.
There are three different types of mold: allergenic, pathogenic, toxigenic. As the name suggests, toxigenic is considered to be the most toxic for humans. If inhaled, it can lead to some troublesome health issues.
How Do We Get Exposed To Mold?
We can become exposed to mold pretty much anywhere.
It can attach itself to clothing and can enter your house through open windows, doors, and vents. The problem with mold is that it produces spores. When released in the air, these spores will float around the entire home.
You will then inhale these spores or be exposed to them through the skin. As they are microscopic, you will be unaware of the damage they are causing to your health until you start seeing the effects.
Another way that you could be exposed to mold is through the food you eat.
Can Mold Cause Hair Loss?
Mold can cause hair loss. The reason for this is because mold exposure triggers an allergic reaction inside the body.
As a response, histamine gets released in order to protect the body from any harmful allergens.
This process causes inflammation and disrupts the circulation of blood vessels. Due to this reaction, the hair doesn’t receive sufficient oxygen to the roots, causing the hair to weaken and fall out.
In some cases, the allergic reaction and the body’s response to it can cause hair to fall out all over the body, not just the hair on your head.
Losing the hair on your head is likely to be one of the first signs that you notice. However, there are other worrying symptoms to look out for:
- Sore or dry throat
- Dry cough
- Eye irritation such as redness or itching
- Shortness of breath
- Runny nose
- Fever or difficulty breathing, in extreme cases
Understandably, mold exposure can have an impact on the entire body. The stress and general illness that you experience could contribute to further hair loss.
It is vital that you see a doctor if you are experiencing any of the symptoms above.
How To Treat Hair Loss Caused By Mold
Losing your hair can be a very scary and emotional experience, especially when it’s accompanied by other debilitating symptoms. Here are the two most important steps that you must take to treat hair loss.
Remove The Mold From The Home
The first step would be to get rid of the mold that’s causing these problems in the first place.
You won’t be able to heal and get your health back on track if you are consistently being exposed to spores. It’s important that you seek the help of professionals to inspect your home and remove the mold for you.
Attempting to do this yourself is a bad idea because this will further expose you to the mold.
Also, it can be difficult to see what is causing the mold. Until you get to the root cause, any attempt to remove it will be futile.
Getting experts to look around the home is the best step forward because they know what the key signs of mold are and how to tackle the ongoing issue.
If possible, try and find alternative living arrangements so your body can get a break from the mold exposure.
Visit A Doctor
Hair loss caused by mold is a serious issue that should be seen by a doctor.
You can tell them about any other symptoms you are experiencing so they can get a good indication of the best way to treat you.
This could be through antihistamines, allergy shots, or they may recommend some supplements to detox the body.
They may also test and treat you for any other underlying issues that could be contributing to hair loss.
Natural ingredients and oils that may help with hair loss:
Can Mold Allergies Lead To Hair Loss?
Many people are allergic to mold and unfortunately, it can cause serious health issues that must be checked out immediately.
Someone who is allergic to mold will experience a more intense reaction when they breathe in the spores. The symptoms can range from mild to severe, with the worst-case scenario leading to breathing problems that require immediate treatment.
If you know or suspect you have a mold allergy, you should seek the advice of a doctor. Certain medications can be used to reduce and relieve mold allergies.
Most importantly, you must limit any contact with mold.
Avoid places where you could come into contact with mold and seek alternative accommodation as soon as you become aware of the problem.
How To Prevent Mold In Your House
Preventing mold from occurring is the best course of action. Once mold starts to form, it can be distressing and expensive removing and treating the issue. You can prevent mold in your house with just a few crucial steps.
Open Windows Where Necessary
In order to prevent mold you need to make sure there isn’t a build-up of moisture in each room of the house.
When you are in the kitchen cooking, you should open the windows or a door. Likewise, if you’re in the bathroom, you should open windows or a door to prevent the room from steaming up.
Even during the colder months, it’s important to allow fresh air to come through the windows, even if it’s only for a few minutes at a time.
Dry Any Wet Areas
Where there is moisture, there is the potential for mold to grow. If the shower tiles or the floor becomes damp or wet, make sure that you dry it up immediately. You should get in the habit of doing this every day to prevent mold.
Try To Avoid Drying Clothes Indoors
While this can be a difficult rule to follow, it can help to prevent mold in the home. If possible, hang your clothes outside to dry or use a dryer.
Alternatively, you can hang clothes to dry inside as long as the room is well ventilated. Just make sure you keep a window and a door open.
Consider Getting A Dehumidifier
A dehumidifier is a great investment because it can help to remove excess moisture around the home.
Placing it in the bedroom can also help you to sleep better by controlling the humidity of the room at night.
Disclaimer: This site is not intended to provide professional or medical advice. All of the content on LovedByCurls.com is for informational purposes only. All advice should be followed at your own discretion. Ingredients may change at any time so always check the product label before using. Check our full disclaimer policy here.